Duke Ellington – Last Trip to Paris
$7.00 – $8.00
The year is 1973 and the great Maestro Duke Ellington led his world famous orchestra on its final European tour. To collectors and expert listeners alike this performance is a rare document of his final band which includes a few remaining veterans and a healthy sprinkling of young blood who would keep the Ellington flame lit for some time after Duke’s passing, as members of the Ellington Orchestra led by his son Mercer. The remarkable thing about this recording is that Ellington, despite being terminally ill, is still playing like a younger man, full of energy and fresh ideas. The material is standard fare, but the music has a certain urgency and abandon that will convince the listener that Duke had much more left to express before leaving the planet. The concert was produced by George Wein as part of the “Newport to Paris” series, and features special guest pianists Raymond Fol and Claude Bolling, as well as Ellingtonians such as Harry Carney, Russell Procope, Harold Minerve, Johnny Coles, and many more.
1. Rockin’ In Rhythm
2. Creole Love Call ft. Money Johnson, Russell Procope
3. Spacemen, ft. Barry Lee Hall
5. How High the Moon ft. Johnny Coles
6. New York, New York *
7. I Got it Bad and that Ain’t Good *
8. Blem *
9. Chinoiserie ft. Harold Ashby
10. Basin Street Blues, ft. Money Johnson, vocals.
11. Medley: Don’t Get Around Much Anymore, Mood Indigo, I’m Beginning to See the Light, Sophisticated Lady, ft. Harry Carney
12. In Triplicate, ft. Harold Minerve, Art Baron
13. Love You Madly +
14. One More Time *+
15. Woods ft. Paul Gonsalves, Percy Marion, Harold Ashby
16. Somebody Cares *+
17. Take the ‘A’ Train ft. Raymond Fol
18. Take the ‘A’ Train ft. Claude Bolling
19. Lotus Blossom
trumpets: Johnny Coles, Money Johnson, Barry Lee Hall, Mercer Ellington trombones: Vince Prudente, Art Baron, Chuck Connors saxophones: Harold Minerve, Russell Procope, Harold Ashby, Paul Gonsalves, Percy Marion, Harry Carney Piano: Duke Ellington Bass: Joe Benjamin Drums: Rocky White
* vocals: Anita Moore + vocals: Toney Watkins
guest soloists: Claude Bolling, Raymond Fol, pianos.
* This is a brand new, professionally manufactured & shrink-wrapped Ultra/Pro-CDR. It is officially licensed to Chambermusik Special Products for sale via special arrangement with the artists. We strive hard to make such exclusive products available in professional format at a reasonable price.
|Dimensions||5 x 6 x .5 in|